Monday, May 31

hibernation

It has been a tough couple of months watching friends and clients start their race seasons. I have really been itching for the chance to get out and really warm up the engine that I have been building over the winter. Yesterday I jumped into the 10km component of the Calgary Marathon; anxious to see the results of my new running form.

Since the beginning of January I have been building my gluteus and hamstrings strength in order to promote a more efficient hip movement. I know that things are coming along because my pants no longer slip off my body! I have a but (albeit small) that is holing them up.

The first 5km of the race felt effortless; like I was just floating along, it felt great to hope out in front with the Kenyans. At the 6km mark my pace hit the wall as my form started to slip and my quads took over. My pace slowed by over 10 seconds per kilometer right through to the end.

Fitness wise it is a great indication that I'm strong, creating great confidence for the upcoming season. There are still a number of things to work on, with form fitness being the priority.

I was given a great perspective on the race last night by a new friend. He mentioned that I need to bank my energy surrounding my latest result; so that I can draw upon it when my training hits a valley.



All in all, I'm stoked to see the results from the revised approach this year.

2 comments:

Jevon Almond said...

great job Birdman almost a sub 32!

Cindy said...

congrats jon, hope it was a PB with bigger things to come. happy training.