Saturday, December 4

calm like a bomb

I sit in a chair in a dark room with one eye taped shut and the other forced open with some sort of 'clockwork orange device'. I'm calm, but not because I have blocked the next hour out of my mind. I'm calm because adavan courses through my viens. A electric touthbrush like device is lowered toward my eye and begins to 'gently scrub' away the outer layer of my cornea. All my insticnts tell me to close my eye and get the hell out. But my head is strapped in place and my eye is stuck on open. After a few minutes the electric toothbrush is removed and the saturation of b12 and ultraviolent light begins.

My right eye has now undergone corneal cross linking and with some care will be stronger then ever leaving itself imprevious to keratoconus. Since learning that the disease was in a degenerative state I have been plagued with thoughts of blindness. Obviously thinking about the worst case scenario and how triathlon could be done without sight are not positives so I have done my best to just shelf this mental dilemma. But it has literally opened my eyes to people with disabilities, especially at Talisman Centre when I see them rocking out a workout.

As I sat in the chair I imagined that I was the sacrafilical Indian slave in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!



No comments: